Moab to Grand Canyon... Road kills and wind on my face

I left Moab tired, did not sleep good at all, the camp site had uneven ground and hard on my back, and smelly restrooms and noisy neighborhood and expensive, I will never pay again 28$ for a campsite in my life! 
The day started early, pack the tent, pack the camping stuff, prepare the bicycle, and leave…I thought stopping to get some breakfast; it is good to get some fuel to cycle.


Franz, and Elke from Austria joined me for breakfast, and guess what… I did forget my hammock at the campsite and Franz was so nice to take it for me, and look for me on the way out from Moab, as soon as he saw my bicycle he stopped. Thank you allot Franz and Elke! The hammock is a crucial part in camping gear. I’ve spend some of my best relaxing moments hanging in between two trees and enjoying visions and dreams that come along.

So after breakfast, I cycle! Like every day… But today is a special day, the sky was dark, grey, big clouds on the horizon, I was happy that the weather was cooler, not so hot, and I get the chance to see the rain in the desert. I prepared my trailer and took of the poncho, rain started precise like a Swiss clock, the sky was amazingly beautiful, dense clouds playing free forms in the sky, drawing shapes no human can do, I started to see lightning’s, and ear the distant rumble in the sky, I got preoccupied, I smile and keep cycling up… I thought if God call me, what a best way to join, is fast, painless, and you got to see the light!!!


Yes, the desert is up and down, but human eyes cannot see where is up and where is down, the space is too big, and perspectives tricky. The only way is to seat on the bicycle and feel it, you check your small computer and you get to know that you going slow, average speed was 12 km/h … Uphill… Than 8 km/h… From the speed I could understand that it will take me the whole day to cycle 100 km. Than downhill I got face wind. Very nice, you work your ass off to go up and hope to get a nice downhill but nothing… Still have to work hard even on downhill’s. The desert was not good to me, it blew strong gust, and heated my head up. I met two Spanish a couple from Cataluña, the only cyclist on the road. Than you can see allot of SUV, caring mountain bikes in the back. The easy way to cycling. We talked a little bit, I asked information on the road, how much uphill? From here to Monticello, is a little up, a little down, and up, up, up…


I got it… Don’t ask, just do it. It is the best way. Cycling and thinking, about the hardest part of the journey never helps, the mind should be clear of preoccupations; the eyes open on the vast vision and cycle up bitch!
I got to Monticello in Utah, after a pretty steep uphill, got the first Motel on the road, and sequentially; pay the room, unlock the door, drop the stuff, take a shower, get some clean clothes, go out to eat, eat allot! 


What to say about Monticello… After you spend one day in the desert, you start to climb and climb, elevation will be around 8000ft or less? And then… Everything is green! There is no more desert.
Forest, pine trees, flowers, bushes, small farms, fields, and fields, and Monticello. I will say a rural village. I had dinner in an open air barbeque tent, filled with French people, aged in small villages, wearing fancy clothes, avoiding any fashionable choice, just being nice French people. After them, some nice fashionable Germans, those ones took the choice to wear some Harley Davidson jackets and cool looking t-shirts, that did not fit their faces and lives …
Living the dream, is not mean to copy a dream! So get your fucking Harley Davidson, and a pair of adidas training pants, pink t-shirt with hello kitty and go melt your asshole off in the desert until you are satisfied with the vroom of the engine, you will be more original than all this European smock’s coming here to live the easy rider dream and buying it drop by drop tailor made to copy what long ago was.  And to add more, I really don’t like the logos and the graphics of the damn Harley t-shirts… Out-dated!




From Monticello to Bluff… I almost puked! 
There is so many road kills, animals rotting in the hot sun, spreading vomiting perfumes in the air, that’s cool if you drive by with a car, closed in, Air Con, and only have a blink of an eye to see the dead body… 
That with the bicycle translates like… You see the road kill, you cannot change side, you cycle close, you see flies, worms, virulent odor, you feel like puking, my stomach came up close to my throat… That’s the misery… Living creatures die and they rot on the side of the road. If I get to kill one deer once "with my bicycle", I will not waste anything, meat, leather, everything I can take… It is a shame just to waste one life. So Dear Dead Deer, I  did not take any photos of you and your family for respect, and to let the reincarnation process be free from unwanted spirits. People should be aware, driving to fast is dangerous.

My arrival in Bluff was preceded with an urgent need to run to the restroom… I stopped in a restaurant, and unluckily the restrooms were under cleaning process… I had to ask, were I can find any other restrooms… The answer was: 2 miles down… I answer back: I can shit myself trying to reach the place… Did the lasts words convinced the lady to let me in? Or the urgency of the matter…. She agreed. 
I went in, and let the nature take over.


Bluff… Nice and hot! And some Navajo grilled me, the best meat I had since here, just rare as I like it.
After Bluff, Olijato Valley. Or Monument Valley, rocks after rocks, and finally you reach the biggest rocks in the middle of the desert, looks like Marlboro country definitely. Navajo country is expensive, the most expensive Motel I found in America. Looks to me that they don’t give a shit if you stay or not, but if you stay they want to get the most out of you. Indians… They are really far away from all the mystical stories, Navajo, Koyanistsquatsi, wisdom, magic… I found only trash… Do nice, landscapes! 










Comments