Montana 7th of May

Welcome to Montana, Saint Mary Lake, after Babb.
The wind started to blow on my mind... Makes you wonder... Why God, you punish me? Than you just know, life is like that sometime is nice, sometime is harder, and you have to deal with. From Cardston AB, to Saint Mary Lake, it is 50km more or less. Than you cycle along the Lake to Saint Mary's Lodge and Resorts.




From there, there is a steep climb... Uhhhh, I did ask at Babb to the local sheriff for some information, and he laugh a bit and told me: Yes the road 49 is open, is a good climb! Good ride! Enjoy. I thought the road is steep, but I have no choice, so let's go!
After 50km and only one small break to eat a sandwich at Babb, I started the climbing.
The wind is pushing me back, and I have to fight hard to get every meter, every kilometer done, sometime I go downhill and I wish to rest my tired legs, but the gust are so strong that even downhill
you'll have to push. Be patient Philip, one cycle at a time, left foot, right foot, climb up. Breath and climb. Regulate breathing, don't think. Cycle, push, and push. Slowly but surely. I thought: I want to reach East Glacier Park Village. I confused kilometers and Miles. Be patient. Push and push. I don't know how long that will take me, but I want to be there before dark... Ok... One stop. Get some water. Go back to work, climb up, push and push. Pedal slow, regulate your breathing. Don't give up. I can't give up... There is nowhere to go except forward.

Stellar Jay. (Little Epiphany)
I started to be exhausted, second stop. Get some water, one snack.
Back to the climb. The road is steep, I can say probably around 12%. I have 65kg to carry, camping stuff, clothes, food and water, bicycle, trailer... I can feel the wait pushing me back, and the wind, blowing in my face. Sweating, humid, keep pushing. I made a 3th stop, before the top, get some water, have an juicy apple. Go on.
Almost there... My legs started to shaken, my arms to, I was really exhausted. On the top finally. I stepped down from my bicycle, put my knees on the ground, my legs and arms were shaking, I was cold, the wind blew strong, I was humid... Get the jacket.
Stay down, stay low, find some cover from the wind, behind the trailer. Get some water. Take the chocolate, and a cereal bar, and... I need some juicy fruit... Get the orange.
Woaaaa.... That was the best orange I had in longtime.
I made it to the top. But that was not the end. The road started to go downhill, I relaxed inside my gore-tex jacket and let the beast go down. Few meters and I came across to some wild horses, I had to stop, contemplate. Eating salt from the road. They are intelligent, they look at you with curiosity.

The road is tricky, you think to have come to an end... You wrong. It goes down, than goes up again, and down, and up. Cumulative fatigue. I felt my legs warm. Philip, breath slowly, concentrate, think about something nice, think about the evening. I want to reach, East Glacier Park Village, no mater what it takes, I'll walk, I'll push, I want to be there... Before the sun sinks into Asia, where some friends, will wake-up to grab their surfboards and go surfing in the warm ocean...
Take a break, get some snacks, get some water, the road 49, as the Sheriff told me, may be open, but concrete blocks are closing the way, with a distinct sign road closed until...
took my chances, turn around the blocks and hit the climb again, that one was not bad. I came across three hunters, sitting in their SUV, and looking at the nature with binoculars, waiting, hunting, looking. I stopped and we talked for a while. One man had a similar bad relation history as my, he was dumped by hes woman, and she went with he's cousin...

30 years passed, but he still remember that ugly event.
I have to thank my ex actually.
And wish her all the best. But I can't :)
Things were done in the wrong way, with out any respect, so I'll go may way, but don't ask me to wish her any good.

20:36 I'm in East Glacier Park Village. I'm happy, banana face :) 103km from Cardston 

7Th of May little map















Comments

  1. Yo, Pippo: Way to crank it. Good to see that you're getting some better--if windy--weather. Those mountains are so beautiful with the spring snow. I look forward to riding some of the same country, but we'll be going through in August, so it will be warm (hot?) with very little snow left. We'll be headed for the Southwest, too, crossing from the Rockies in New Mexico through Arizona to home, California, in November. Today I leave for a two week tour with a couple of friends! I will keep you in my thoughts as we both battle the mountains of the West!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonjour Philippe,
    L'avantage d'un blog, c'est que des inconnus découvrent aussi ton histoire...
    En plus des paysages, de l'aventure Cycliste, c'est une aventure humaine, une personnalité que l'on découvre...
    Bonne route pour les prochaine étapes, et quelque soit la difficulté, profites en...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came to this site through a post on Reddit (r/bicycling) and wanted to say how awesome it is you're doing this. All the pretty sites, the wind in your hair all all these experiences being documented with such passion. I hope to one day really take my bike out and see the country. :D

    -Tori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man you must have a kick right now! Open spaces, alone in the dark, and first in the light fighting only yourself and the elements!
    Keep running man but don't go to fast or you will catch the wind and not to slow or the wind will catch you.
    Keep us posted

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even to people I never met, thank you for the comments :) they keep up my feelings up!
    Tomorrow will hit the road again, West Yellowstone. Long climb! I'm already dead tired ahahah

    To Manu, Hope one day, when your kids will be big enough we eventually will organize something together. To experience what I see is nice, to share it with friends, is paradise!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment